Saturday, August 26, 2006

Cookies, curry, and rice salad


I've always loved peanut butter cookies, but I've struggled to find a good recipe since going vegan. I've finally found it, the perfect peanut butter cookie. Chewy and sweet with a little bit of saltiness. These are probably the best cookies I've ever eaten, period. Even to omnimom says that they don't taste "vegan". They are kind of fragile but they firm up over time. The recipe is modified from Vegan with a Vengeance.




Huge Peanut Butter-Oatmeal Cookies

2 cups all purpose flour
2 cups rolled oats
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 cup canola oil
3/4 all natural salted smooth peanut butter (if you use unsalted add 1/4-1/2 tsp more salt)
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup plain soy milk
2 tsp vanilla extract
3/4 cup chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease two cookie sheets.

Mix the flour, oats, baking powder, and salt in a large mixing bowl. In a separate bowl mix the oil, peanut butter, sugars, soy milk, and vanilla.

Add the wet ingredients to the dry and mix until combined. Add chocolate chips. The dough will be very moist. Shape cookies in your hands. Each one should be about 1/4-1/3 cup of dough. Place on tray with about an inch in between cookies. Bake for 12-15 minutes or until cookies are slightly puffed and lightly brown. Allow the cookies 10 minutes to cool before removing them from the cookie sheet. If you don't wait the cookies will crumble.

Makes 12-15 huge cookies.


I've been trying to use the fresh vegetables from our garden in my cooking recently. Yesterday I made curry with eggplant, hot peppers, and tomatoes all from the garden. I just cooked it all up in a frying pan with an onion, garlic, and curry paste and served it over rice for a fast meal.



One final recipe that I've really been enjoying is rice salad. Normally I refuse to make any recipe that has the word salad in the title. It sounds close-minded of me but I have this mental block against salads. My mom coaxed me into making this one and I'm really happy that I did. It isn't really a salad at all. The spices balance each other out really well and the nuts add a really great texture. Best of all, it's healthy! Unfortunately, it all got eaten before I got a picture, but I posted the recipe on Veggieboards.


Tags: vegan cooking | vegan recipes

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home