Thursday, April 06, 2006

Mankind benefits from eating less meat

PhysOrg.com

Now there's a headline you don't see everyday. I mean, vegetarians and vegans talk about this frequently, particularly at sites like VeggieBoards, but it's always a pleasure to see a science and technology-oriented site point out the obvious for those that haven't quite caught on:
If people were to eat more vegetable proteins instead of animal proteins, this would result in multiple – and much-needed – benefits. Such a 'protein transition' will positively affect sustainable energy production, sustainable water use, biodiversity, human health and animal welfare.
Categories: | |

5 Comments:

At 11:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love how they call non- animal based sources of protein 'novel'!(NPFs).As though they were new... although the sad thing is they are to so many people. Some people I've spoke with have honestly thought animal protein was the only form you could digest?!?

Great article though! I hope this makes headlines in N. America!

 
At 12:11 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love any article that lets people know there are other ways besides eating animals to get the protein you need.

 
At 9:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

like delicgrape said, it's nice to show we get our protein from other sources. it's a far too common belief that vegetarians lack all forms of protein in our diets.

when i was growing up, i too held this belief. it stopped me from becoming a vegetarian until i realized that i could get protein from other sources!

 
At 10:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

If enough of us quit eating meat, it will create a shift in the food industry: less animal farms, less slaughterhouses, less cruelty but also less energy loss, less animal flatulence (also an environmental issue!!!), a decrease in the global ecological footprint, (much) healthier people and thus much less government healthcare costs! I think this is an underused argument to convince omnis of the multiple virtues of vegetarianism. Just my two cents...

 
At 9:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I definitely agree that it is all too common for people to assume that there are no non-animal based proteins. It's something I hear from almost everyone that finds out I'm vegan - "But you need protein!" I always tell them, half of everything I eat contains protein! Beans, nuts, soy products...these are all things that many meat eaters seem to completely disregard.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home