Friday, March 31, 2006

Healthy body, healthy planet

TorontoSun.com | Lifestyle

I'm having to blink my eyes a bit at all the pro-veg pieces I've seen lately. But it is real. Here's another one:
...about 4% of Canada's population are vegetarians of some kind, with an increasing number becoming vegans -- who don't eat meat, fish, poultry, eggs or dairy products that come from animals.

[snip]

But that doesn't mean they're not still regarded with some suspicion -- or worse, derision -- by those who see vegetarians as holdovers from the hippie era, and vegans as tree-hugging extremists.

"I like to say that vegetarians are the Beatles, and vegans are the Rolling Stones," [Syd] Baumel says. "Back in the day, the Beatles were regarded as the wholesome guys and the Rolling Stones were the dangerous types. When you tell someone you're a vegetarian, you usually get a positive reaction, but with veganism it's almost like saying you're a monk ... it's still such an extreme for most people."
Hear that? I'm a Rolling Stone. Strange that we can be dangerous and monk-like... I have this vague recollection of some band with a name reminiscent of dangerous monks... Anyway, I still love The Beatles.

Categories: | |

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home