Sunday, March 12, 2006

Meatless products satisfy cravings

This is rather idiotic:

Asbury Park Press Online

The article suggests that, because numerous companies are now offering fake chicken nuggets, bacon and so on, vegetarians are just as susceptible to meat-flavored junk food cravings as the rest of the population. I won't deny enjoying the occasional fried soy chicken burger at Native Foods, but it's not because it tastes like meat. I haven't eaten chicken in roughly 20 years, so I don't even remember what it tastes like.

What these companies are doing is less for vegetarians and vegans and more for transitioning carnists who seek familiar foods, much like yours truly. It was rather easy for me to go vegan literally overnight because I only had to substitute my usual animal-based products with plant-based items like the one this article describes. Over time, I adopted a less processed, more whole foods diet, though convenience foods occasionally fit my time constraints better even today. These meat analogues are also used frequently by so-called flexitarians. After all, what's easier than having a veggie burger once in while instead of a hamburger? That's probably the original veggie substitute for meat-eaters, and all these new products are merely an extension of the concept. Again, it's convenience, not cravings (mostly). Most veg*ns I know prefer natural whole foods to meat substitutes.

However, if this article had indicated that we eat lots of vegan desserts (like cookies and soy cream)... then they might have had something!

Categories:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home