Monday, July 24, 2006

"Meat. It's what's not for dinner": Creamy Curried Veggies

I've decided to start posting about some of my meals here. Maybe you're already vegetarian, but just curious to know what this guy eats, or maybe you're curious about a plant-based diet. Maybe you're already transitioning, but need some inspiration. Heck, maybe you don't even care. Fair enough. It's easy to skip these posts.

But I love food, never more than now, as going vegan has really expanded my horizons. While I do a fair amount of eating out, I also frequently eat at home, so I may well write about both types of meals, as time permits.



I'll start this off tonight with Creamy Curried Veggies from p. 106 of How It All Vegan!, a book so popular around here that it usually just sits out in the cookbook holder most of the time. In my household, we're still only cooking for two, but the recipes are just the right size for a hearty meal, with plenty of leftovers (says here that the curry serves 2-4). These are meals you'll definitely want to revisit the next day for lunch.

Now, I never ate curry before adopting a plant-based diet, but have become a big fan since then. This HIAV recipe is not all that spicy, but it has that great curry flavor, and allows for loads of yummy veggies, including potatoes, peas, mushrooms, carrots, cauliflower, and onions. Like most of the entrees in the book, it rewards you with great taste for cooking healthy. The recipe recommends serving over rice, and I'd have to agree. I generally prefer short-grain brown rice. This dinner was so good, I went back for seconds... And they say a plant-based diet is good for weight loss. Don't forget to control your portions.

It's not the fastest recipe to make at 30 minutes plus prep, but it's worth the time, and gives you an opportunity to catch up on dishes while the veggies simmer. Plus, you can easily mix it up on any given night with whatever veggies happen to be in your kitchen on the day! I love recipes that allow for throwing together what you happen to have laying around in order to make an exotic, delicious dish.

Tags: | |



Want me to try vegan recipes from your cookbook and write about them at the site? Either e-mail me for an address where you can send a copy of the cookbook, or -- if you want to take a shot that we'll love just one of those recipes so much that we'll have to try it and write about it -- simply send the full recipe, as found in the book, along with the name of your book and the page on which the recipe can be found, and we'll give it a look-see.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home